James discovered his passion for letters early on in life after his father brought home some calligraphy pens from the supply store. It’s been an obsession ever since. Today he is an award-winning type designer, instructor, speaker, and founder of OH no Type Co. On this episode of Making Ways, James shares his path to honing in on a career designing fonts and the training, near and far, that helped catapult him to where he is today.
In between watching House Hunters Renovation and hanging out with his Nanay, James spends time designing typefaces. After graduating from California College of the Arts, James received a masters from the TypeMedia program at The Royal Academy of Art in The Hague, Netherlands. He now runs OH no Type Co., and teaches type design in the MFA department at California College of the Arts and in the Type@Cooper West program in San Francisco.
- OH no Type Co. Website
- OH no Type Co. on Instagram
- Video of James Edmondson on Type at SF Public Library
- James Short Interview “What is a Plugin?”
- James on Grits and Grids Podcast
- Interview on Starting a Type Foundry
- Melbourne Lettering Club Interview
- James on The Reflex Blue Show: A Graphic Design Podcast
- One Minute (Interview) with James
- Obsessed Magazine Interview